Easy Spicy Garlic Hummus - No Tahini Required!
A quick blend of six ingredients makes for some awesome hummus, even without tahini!
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15.5oz) Aka chickpeas
- 1.5 tbsp of the liquid from the can If you forget to do this (guiltyyy!), you can use substitute with olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic
- 4-5 slices of fresh jalapeno Depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tahini Traditional in hummus, but I don't think it's necessary for a delicious hummus!
- 1/4 tsp cayenne MOAR SPICE
Make yo hummus!
Open up the can of chickpeas and set aside 1.5tbsp of the liquid. You can put it right into the food processor. Drain the rest.
Slice your jalapeño
Peel garlic and cut in half or quarters
Put all ingredients into food processor
Pulse a few times to start mixing ingredients
Give it a quick mix with a spoon or fork, being very careful while poking around the food processor blades. Do NOT do the mixing while the food processor is on!!! Common sense, friends!
Continue blending at 5-10 second intervals until you've reached the desired consistency. I like mine a little smoother rather than course so I repeat these cycles for a good while.
Beware of jalapeño spice roulette! I've found that they have quite a variable spice range. Adjust the amount of jalapeño accordingly.
If you still want extra spice, add in a little ground cayenne pepper as you go. Test frequently!